Tuesday, May 23, 2017

A Question of Artistry - Mike Jackson

John & I have been asked to do a few interviews lately and we thought it would be interesting to do something similar with the artists! We picked Mike Jackson as our guinea pig...

Mike Jackson Artist Original Paintings and Limited Edition Prints

1) At what age did you first take a regular interest in drawing or painting?

When I was a child I loved to draw, I was always doodling and would spend hours in my own world. It was just me and my mum when I was a child and we lived with different relatives till I was around nine years old. As a result of this, I didn't get the opportunity to make many friends growing up, so I suppose drawing pictures was my constant. I put down my drawing desires in my teens when I began to fit in and make friends and discovered girls! However I remember being excluded from biology for drawing a very realistic body part.

2) When did you sell your first painting and what was it?

When I was in my 20's I worked in the operating theatres in Wythenshawe Hospital, Manchester. I brought in a pastel drawing of a painting which I copied (it was of Bubbles by Millais) A doctor asked me to paint a portrait of his baby and I got £15 for it. (Around a days wage at the time). Word got around and I was drawing at least two each week, nicely supplementing my meagre salary. My first 'proper sale' was from a gallery in Yeovil. When I got a great price for a painting. I was asked to paint 12 more pictures, which was the start of my art career.

3) How did you feel when you first realised you could earn money from this?

This was when I was asked to paint the 12 pictures. I couldn't believe it, you would have thought I had won the lottery. To be able to do what you love the most....and get paid for it! Does life get any better? If I didn't get paid, I would still paint, it is in my blood.

4) What is your preferred medium and has it always been the same?

I have mainly been a watercolour artist but moved over to oils as I began painting larger pieces. I feel that an oil painting is usually a statement painting, something you would hang in the lounge. Whereas watercolours are ideal to be hung in kitchens and bathrooms etc.

5) Have you ever painted something you couldn’t bear to part with? Why?

Yes, I painted a hoody called the stowaway. It was such a rich painting and it just made me smile.

6) Where does your inspiration come from?
I love to pop down to the harbour quayside and sit and have coffee. I people watch and am fascinated by the funny things people do.

7) What do you do when you’re stuck for ideas?

I sit with my pad and just sketch anything, it doesn't have to be anything clever but it is funny how just drawing triggers off your creative part of the brain. It is just about practising and pushing through.

8) Do you listen to music as you paint? If so what do you like best?
I love to listen to David Bowie, the kinks, and a bit of opera. I have all of David Bowie's early songs. My favourite is 'Hunky Dory'

9) If you couldn’t paint what else would you like to do for a living?

I would love to be a gynaecologist! ;) Seriously, I cannot think of anything else I would like than to paint.

10) Do you plan to retire or will you just paint forever?

I will never retire if I can help it. As long as my eyes are working and my hands don't shake, I will be painting. I may paint pictures which take years to complete and I am not reliant on an income.

To See the Current Paintings by Mike Jackson Click This Link:

Thank you very much to Mike for sharing his time and his inspiration with us :)
Keep watching to see who will come next...

No comments: