Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Oh What A Day!!

You know when you really want to do your best for a customer but other factors get in the way? Well I had one of those days today!

I had a very nice lady call in the gallery this morning, very interested in buying 'Jig For Jack' by Alexander Millar (a rare item!). The lady asks if I can ship it to Spain. 'No problem' I say... How wrong could I have been!!

After spending most of the day talking to couriers and our insurers I eventually get a price to ship one framed canvas by Air... cost £251 with only minimal insurance available!

I think to myself that due to the value and rarity of the item full insurance value will be required. I contact our insurance company who eventually confirm a quote of ... wait for it ... £250!!!

As you can see it would cost £500 to insure and ship the piece and so my very nice lady has decided not to purchase for now but she is still interested and has a shipping idea of her own to look into when she gets back!

In the meantime all suggestions greatly appreciated.
Email me at info@theacorngallery.co.uk

You'd think that would be enough for one day wouldn't you - but no! After tea I took my son skateboarding ... He spent ages 'dropping in' with help ... then we all heard a thud and a loud scream and he'd landed flat on his face and was in much pain.

We all rushed over, picked him up and brushed him down. We gave him a drink to rinse the blood out of his mouth and a cold compress to hold against his cheekbone... at this point I am thinking 'be brave' and praying that he hasn't broken anything!

After a few minutes he calms down but even after half an hour he is still unable to move his left arm ... Gary, his coach, is worried and suggests A & E ...

3.5 hours at York District, with x-rays and examinations and we are given the all clear. He hasn't broken his arm just badly jarred it and will be badly bruised ... no pot on his arm for the summer then - he is so relieved that he won't have to miss out on a summer of skateboarding fun!!

Texts were dispatched post haste at 1.30am to say all ok and that Gary was not to feel bad as it wasn't his fault.

As for me ... all I could think was 'Oh what a day'!!!

No comments: