Wednesday, June 1, 2016

The Search - An Interview with Mackenzie Thorpe




Q, What was your inspiration for the title 'The Search'?
A, The title was from the 1956 John Ford Movie 'The Search' What makes a man to wander, what makes a man to roam, what makes a man turn his back on bed and board, what makes a man turn his back on home.

Q, Is the duffle coat characters search over?
A, No the search lasts forever.

Q, What music were you listening to when you painted this piece?
A, Vera Lynn's 'Harbour Lights'

Q, Is the painting set in a particular place?
A, No

Q, Is the path red for a reason?
A, Yes, it is the passion of the journey.

Q, The colour spectrum in the sky is amazing, how did you know it would turn out so powerful?
A, I knew because I painted the rainbow colours of the sky as homage to Tom Wall, my tutor and my friend.

Q, Do you think you will use new techniques after using lacquer and varnish on this piece?
A, Yes! I have just found new metallic inks with patterns such as fish scales, which I am really excited about using!

Q, Can I buy this piece?
A, You can buy the original! It's big, like you!

This interview took place by phone whilst Mackenzie was drawing new works for his November show in New York and Mackenzie likes quick conversations on the phone so it was pretty good that it lasted this long!

No comments: