Monday, December 8, 2008

What A Night!!

Thursday 4th December - Pocklingtons Dickensian Late Night Shopping Event.

I was duly forced into wearing my costume (and I have to say I thought I looked rather good in it!!) See photo below - all comments welcome!!



Considering the number of things that got cancelled on the day, most people I have spoken to since Thursday have said what a great event it was and they thought the snow machines were great... at this point Scrooge will rear his head and say ... I have to disagree as the gallery was covered in fake snow as the machines were blowing it straight in the door and making the floor very wet!! Bah Humbug!!

People also liked the idea of having no fair rides in the town but did comment that more lighting was needed on the stalls... all these comments will be taken into account ready for next year.

Diane and I agree that we had easily over 200 people through the door and we both noticed lots of new faces as well as many regular faces too :-) The gallery was very busy from about 5.30pm and didn't empty until almost 9pm!!

We must apologise to those people who had travelled a distance to be with us and didn't get as much of our time as they deserve. We would have liked to have spent more time with you but with the sheer number of people and a constant demand for bubbly and home made truffles meant that I was busy serving drinks and at one point in the evening I had to dash down to Threshers and ask Neil for yet more glasses!!

Diane was kept busy doing sales and running up and down the stairs for more glasses and her home made truffles. Orders now being taken for Christmas!!

Next year we must arrange for our daughter to help out - this will hopefully free up Diane & I to spend more time with people!!!

For us it was a great evening and we would like to say thankyou to everyone who came in and said hello. We would also like to say a big THANK YOU to Sara at Simply Books whose idea it was for the Dickensian evening and thanks also for her huge contribution to the evenings planning.

We hope this event has shown the people of Pocklington and surrounding villages just what the town has to offer and hopefully they will think local and shop local.

Thanks to everyone for your hard work bringing it together and thanks to everyone who came!

All I can say is 'What a night'

1 comment:

Richard said...

What a night indeed. I thought it was extremely good and really showed the town off to it's best light. The no shows of the fair etc didn't make a bit of difference I thought.

Nice to meet you at last.

Richard